Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Elder Jon Pimentel 10/16/2007

Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 8:44 AM
Subject: Tagkis kuv los rau hauv lub ntiajteb (tomorrow come I into the world)

All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go/ I'm standin' there outside your door/ I hate to wake you up to say goodbye....'cuz I'm leavin' on a jet plane!

It probably won't sink in until I get off the plane that I'm actually going to be in the field. It makes me feel excited---well, excited and scared (to the tune from Into the Woods).

This week Elder Khamsa got a bag of "Asian peppers" from a relative. Our naikhu identified them as the infamous kua txob peppers, known to many Americans as Thai peppers. We all loaded up glasses of milk so we could try them out. I bit off a little over half a centimeter from the little devil, and it was certainly a new experience. It's not so much hot, as it is painful. Like most spicy things, it takes a second to really kick in. When kua txob kicks in, it's like someone takes a cloth covered with pins, wraps it around your tongue, and squeezes. While you're in the process of drinking milk, the effects are nullified, but as soon as you swallow, you're right back where you were. What fun. I'll see if I can send one to Kent (isn't he the wasabi king?).
I ran into Elder Shields a few times. It was really weird because I always thought he was about Kent's age. Guess not.

I've gotten to be proxy at the temple for some people with pretty cool names. One was a Brother Gould (not quite Goa'uld, but still cool), another had the first name "Splinter".

Before I forget, I'd like to thank Liz for the goodies: Liz, thank you for the goodies! There.

As a zone leader, I discovered that we believe in meetings, we schedule meetings, we have endured many meetings, and hope to be able to endure all meetings. If there is a meeting we seek after it. I had 7 on Sunday.

Kent, it may amuse you to know I found the word for "Lampwick". It's teeb xeeb, pronounced 'dang sang' both with high level tones.

Doug might like to know that some Hmong use the Chinese word for 'stuff', but they change it a little to make it easier to spell. It's spelled toob xib.

Outta time! I'll call you
-Elder Meej

No comments: