Monday, May 12, 2008

From Jon 5/10/2008

Sent: Saturday, May 10, 2008 10:00 AM
Subject: Zoo siab hnub nco txog niam!

Nyob zoo nej sawvdaws (Hello everyone)!

The subject of this email is how you would say "Happy Mother's Day". Literally it says "Happy day to remember about mother", or more literally,"Good liver sun remember about mother". Hmong is fun. The word "nco" can be used to mean to remember, but also to mean "to miss or long for". While I do miss you all and love you all, you don't have to worry about me being homesick. Thanks to all your letters, I don't have to wonder and worry about you, and I know more or less what's going on. I'm so focused on the work here that I don't have time to think of much else. I have noticed that this focus also makes time pass far too quickly. It scares me to see how long I've already been on my mission. People always ask how long I've been learning Hmong, and I hate to count. When I do figure out how long it's actually been, I realize how precious little time I have left and I work even harder.

I was pretty sure I told you about my transportation situation, but in case I didn't: it's the same deal as East Side. We have a car (Chevy Malibu with a V6 ^_^) and we have very limited miles, so we bike to nearby places, and load the bikes on the bike rack and drive to farther regions, then deploy the bikes and work around that area. There are days when the weather is bad and we forgo the bikes and just drive and walk.

The work is really picking up, lots of exciting things and many miracles. I'm trying to remember to write them down, but I forget some of them. We found a lot of new people, and are helping some people who have gone astray remember their testimonies.

Love you all, talk to you tomorrow!
-Elder Moua Ying

No comments: