Sunday, September 9, 2007

Lucy reenters the fray and sends everybody to sleep

Thought I'd touch in, having escaped (for a beautiful moment) the terrors of homework and studying.
As I think most of you know, I'm currently attending a School for the Arts, capitals and all. This means, for me, two and a half to four hours of cello practicing every day except Sunday, when I just do casual playing, not to mention the hour-long cello lessons and theory homework I have to do.
This is a big step up from my twenty minute to half an hour practice period and forty-five minute lessons, so it's taking a bit of adjustment.
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely, positively luuuuuuuuurve my school. Somehow I've been placed in the highest orchestra with all the child-prodigy level kids, and am having the experience of a lifetime. Plus, our orchestra does all the cool stuff - we perform really often, go on an out-of-state trip every year, etc. Currently, as the assistant director of music has abandoned us to move to New York, we are occupied in tutoring beginners (and I mean beginners, kids who've never touched a musical instrument in their lives) on their respective instruments.
Besides, I'm in a huge cello section - there are nine of us in my theory class.
Our home teacher is taking composition classes at the local college, which is just about the coolest thing ever. The first visit he made we spent almost the whole time playing hymns for him while he quizzed us on chords, etc.
This week he gave us a piece of music for two violins and a cello to try out. It's pretty cool.

On a different note, I'm thinking about taking up fencing again - a huge commitment, since I'll need to buy my own equipment and sqeeze out another one and a half to two hours every week for lessons.
We've managed to get ourselves library cards, and are now ravaging the public library in search of books we haven't read. I'm finally getting to read the books on my humongous list of books impossible to find overseas.

Now, before you fall asleep in your chair (if you haven't done so already), I bid you adieu.

1 comment:

Bret said...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

just kidding.